To build a world-class fleet of VPU’s that will service the needs of oil and gas industry worldwide.
To turn uneconomic oil and gas resources into positive reserves by providing innovative and cost-effective solutions.
- North Sea Operators seeking low cost entry and early cash flow.
- Global economics affecting the viability of projects.
- Reserves replacement becoming more difficult.
- Mature basins, small accumulations, more difficult to produce economically.
- Difficult reserves, heavy oil, stranded oil.
- Marginal field development in deepwater.
- Project de-risking, enabling the commercial continuity to limit exposure whilst increasing certainty in investments.
We set out to resolve these challenges by adopting a holistic approach in developing the Amplus Versatile Production Unit (VPU).
The Versatile Production Unit - VPU
Technical Benefits of AMPLUS VPU
- Utilises proven FPSO and DP vessel technology.
- Minimises seabed infrastructure.
- Reusability of SURF (Subsea Umbilicals Risers Flowlines) and SPS Wellheads.
- Knuckle boom cranes offer increased operability, allowing loading and offloading of supply vessels in higher sea states.
- VPU modular system facilitates the installation and removal of additional process modules.
Financial Benefits of AMPLUS VPU
- Reduces front end and tail end capital requirements.
- Enables early revenue stream for clients.
- High value production component assists in self-funding the project development.
- Provides financial community with due diligence tool to evaluate reserves prior to sanction of full field development capital.
- Contracting strategy reduces major up front financial commitments to production facilities on "risky" reserves.
- A cost effective option for a replacement of aging infrastructure.
- Dual fuel engines offer reduced fuel consumption, the need for flaring and enables VPU to stay offshore for longer.
- Eliminate costs of the moorings, their installation and ultimate removal.
|Storage Capacity||360,000bbls||200,000 bbls||112,000 bbls|
|Production Capacity||40,000 - 60,000 BPD||20,000 - 60,000 BPD||3,000 - 20,000 BPD|
Raising design standards for operations efficiency and safety
The VPU has been awarded an approval in principle from Lloyds Register for the vessel design – this is an industry first.
Disconnectable Transfer System (DTS)
This system has major advantages over conventional turrets: in extreme conditions it is possible to undertake a planned or emergency disconnect, which can be achieved in under 30 seconds thereby protecting the subsea infrastructure.
If major system modifications are required during the life of the field it is simple to disconnect from the subsea facilities and bring the vessel to harbour to conduct modification under controlled conditions with full onshore support. This provides significant savings in areas including: offshore personnel, as well as fees for a helicopter and supply vessel, all maintenance can be carried out without costly IRM programmes.
The turret is designed to accommodate 6x6 inch production risers and 3 control umbilical. The VPU is designed to lift the flexible risers and control umbilicals from a pre-agreed laydown area on the seabed. The vessel retracts the flexible risers and umbilicals for connection through the turret buoy, eliminating costs for a Diving Support Vessel, whilst protecting the flexible risers and umbilicals from damage.
Safety Considerations in VPU Design
With safety being central to the VPU design, The Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) document lays out Amplus’ philosophy for safety considerations in design, operations and maintenance of the VPU.COMAH
Health Safety Environment (HSE)
The Amplus HSE brochure describes how proven modern technology, competent people and robust management systems, fit together to provide the foundation for effective risk management and exceptional HSE performance.HSE Brochure
FSFR (Free Standing Flexible Riser) is a re-usable subsea solution favoured for its easy to install design. This configuration is highly compatible with marginal field development in deepwater – boasting light weight distribution across the DTS and Flexible Risers.
Amplus’ alliance with TechnipFMC covers the provision of flexible/rigid flow lines, flexible risers, and all other subsea services associated with a VPU field development.
Technical and Financial Benefits
- Optimized subsea architecture
- Mitigated project risks
- Reduced time to first oil
- Optimized offshore installation campaigns
- Improved performance over the life of field
Meet the Team
I’m currently Managing Director of Amplus, prior to this I was Managing Director of Integrated Subsea Services Limited (ISS), which I co-founded in 2008 and 2002 respectively.
Having spent 30 years in the international oil and gas industry, I can help give AMPLUS and our clients a unique strategic advantage due to my expertise and experience in the subsea services market
I’ve been a director of AMPLUS since it was founded in 2008, and in my current role as Technical & Safety Director, it’s my responsibility to ensure that the assets being developed are fit for purpose.
With nearly 40 years experience in the industry, I’ve gained the knowledge, experience and expertise to ensure we provide safe, reliable and compliant operations.